Sunday, September 04, 2011

peggy

You rushed in;
Took me by surprise
Flooding the dam wall,
Flooding the river banks.
I am letting you wash everything away

Sometimes you are hard like plated glass
and I want to hold your hand,
there is sadness that lies like dull puddles
In the corners of your eyes
Can I stroke your cheek?

I don’t want to be slammed up against you,
You can be so crazy,
driven like a rabid animal
obsessed, blinded, lightning, thunder
full of bravado and puffed up feathers
Sometimes it’s better to move out of your way

I don’t want to cut you,
You have so many scars
So many disappointments
Your child needs shelter, healing
A place to sleep where you can find peace in your dreams;
Undrugged,
Unpassified,
Unconditioned,
Unbrainwashed,
Uncontained.

Yesterday you looked so small
I wanted to envelop you
Wrap my arms around you a thousand times
Each embrace gentle as the flitting wings of a butterfly
blowing freedom through the tips of your fingers like a soft wind
if only I could make your monsters go away.

Sometimes you look so big
strong, clever, determined
No one can hold you back
tough like an elephant bull
sad, you don’t use your own strength to love yourself
You give it away to others,
sell it for cheap.
Leaving yourself the dregs for survival

Sometimes you overwrought with fever
Like there is a devil in you
And you grasp at me
Looking for someone else
Hiding in my kisses,
I don’t  see you in those moments
You aren’t there.

Who are you?
Drop your guard
What are you looking for?
Drop your walls
Stop
Listen
Drop your preconceived notions
Judgements
Drop your past
Be still.
Take my hand
Maybe you can learn to trust me?
Maybe I can learn to trust you.

1 comment:

tink said...

i really like the way you write :)